Thread: Ubuntu Studio 22.04 stopped booting sgx disabled by bios message.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ubuntu Studio 22.04 stopped booting sgx disabled by bios message.

Hello All!

I am having an issue with Ubuntu Studio 22.04 not booting up on a dual boot system. The system has Windows 7 and Ubuntu Studio 22.04 on separate hard drives, so I am not using Grub. The Windows 7 drive is still working fine, but when I boot up Ubuntu Studio 22.04, I get this message:

386cpu sgx disabled by bios

Now, I know when Ubuntu boots up, that message comes up, but it continues on booting (normally).
    The system I am using is as follows:

It is a computer I built myself based on a GIGABYTE GA-Z270M-D3H LGA1151 mobo with an Intel i7 6700k processor

It has 16 gig Corsair memory. 750 watt Corsair power supply. About 3 Terrabytes of storage across 3 Samsung SSHD's

It is running both Windows 7 and, of course, Ubuntu 22.04.

Also, ...this has happened before with a gaming mishap caused by my son just before the holidays last year. This time it just happened out of the blue. It has me now concerned that this is the 2nd time this happened within a year. I would figure, by now, if there are known issues with booting becoming corrupt with this version? Should I install a new version of Ubuntu Studio?

Last year, I had jumped the gun and tried to do a reinstall of Ubuntu Studio 22.04, but I recall it causing a bigger problem, so I figured I would just stop and post here first. I am hoping that I can recover my Ubuntu drive without any unnecessary hoop jumping or data loss.

Thank you,
    Geo
    Exit Light, Enter Night, Take My Hand, We're Off To Never Never Land.
    As the Fios Flea says, "W-O-W"!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Re: Ubuntu Studio 22.04 stopped booting sgx disabled by bios message.

I've been getting "SGX disabled by BIOS" during boot ever since I started using Ubuntu but It never impedes the startup process. I've searched for a solution a few times and most of the results I find say that it's not really a problem, just an information message to let you know that the specific feature is disabled in the BIOS. I read that you should be able to enable this feature in the BIOS settings but I can't find any such option even when I show hidden options. Did the message just start appearing when your boot problems started?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasdentremont View Post
    I've been getting "SGX disabled by BIOS" during boot ever since I started using Ubuntu but It never impedes the startup process. I've searched for a solution a few times and most of the results I find say that it's not really a problem, just an information message to let you know that the specific feature is disabled in the BIOS. I read that you should be able to enable this feature in the BIOS settings but I can't find any such option even when I show hidden options. Did the message just start appearing when your boot problems started?
    Yes, I know it comes up during the boot process, it always has. I have another machine with Ubuntu Studio 22.04 on it and I see it come up as the boot process starts. As for the BIOS, I, as well, do not have an SGX setting on my motherboard.

As I said, this happened before on my machine, but never on the other one.

Since you are the only one that responded to me in nearly a 24 hour period, I am thinking perhaps I should just go to version 24.04, which is the current version. Perhaps some idiosyncrasies with 22.04 booting might be resolved with that version. I haven't had this issue with earlier versions of Ubuntu Studio on my system, only 22.04. Since this happened in November, I am concerned that his is going to be a twice a year thing and perhaps that is another reason to upgrade.

Beans
    Distro

Can someone help me with my issue, please? I need Ubuntu to do my banking work as I don't log into anything personal with Windows. Too much a security risk! I have bills due at the end of the month and would like to get Ubuntu working again.

Thank you.