Thread: static ip

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: static ip

after waiting for a bit:

Code:
    systemd-resolved.service - Network Name Resolution
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-resolved.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
         Active: active (running) since Fri 2024-04-26 16:40:06 CDT; 22h ago
           Docs: man:systemd-resolved.service(8)
                 man:org.freedesktop.resolve1(5)
                 https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-network-configuration-managers
                 https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-resolver-clients
       Main PID: 810 (systemd-resolve)
          Tasks: 1 (limit: 38294)
         Memory: 7.8M (peak: 8.3M)
            CPU: 5.876s
         CGroup: /system.slice/systemd-resolved.service
                 └─810 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-resolved

Status is still processing requests Looks stuck to me

Beans

Do please use code tags when posting code (while editing click Go Advanced, and use the '#' at the top). That way you can retain the indentation, which is critical for yaml files.
    Can you also post the results of the commands ip addr and ip route

Beans
    Distro

Code:
     ip addr
    1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
        link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
        inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
        inet6 ::1/128 scope host noprefixroute 
    2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
        link/ether f8:b1:56:e4:ca:fc brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        altname enp0s25
        inet 192.168.25.3/24 brd 192.168.25.255 scope global eno1
        inet6 fe80::fab1:56ff:fee4:cafc/64 scope link 
    3: docker0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN group default 
        link/ether 02:42:55:9c:7a:54 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        inet 172.17.0.1/16 brd 172.17.255.255 scope global docker0

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    default via 192.168.25.1 dev eno1 proto static 
    172.17.0.0/16 dev docker0 proto kernel scope link src 172.17.0.1 linkdown 
    192.168.25.0/24 dev eno1 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.25.3

Beans

I don't see anything wrong with your netplan file other than it doesn't set the renderer (I gather the default is networkd).
    I don't see anything wrong with the routing - IP addresses and the routing table look sensible.

Just testing connectivity, please can you try ping -c3 8.8.8.8 and post the result. If no reply, please the use the command ip nei to list the known neighbours. We should should see the IP address of your gateway as a neighbour, even if you don't get a ping result (maybe the router doesn't answer pings). Also, try ping -c3 8.8.8.8. Between them we should get an idea how far your connectivity is working.

A couple of off-topic hints:
    - When viewing files, less is a better viewer than more because you can scroll and text-search the view. If you just want to print the file content, cat is the program to use.
    - When you want to stop a process, Ctrl-C is the key to use. Ctrl-Z (which is what you would use in Windows) just pauses the process and puts it into the background (use fg to bring it back to the foreground).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd like to know if this device can ping other devices on the same LAN/subnet. If so, then we assume it isn't a driver issue. Time to start looking external to the system - in other network equipment.

If not, it is probably a driver issue and things get ugly. inxi -Nxxz will show the driver and some details. There are lots of commands that can do something similar, but not as nice to read. lspci, lshw are some of the other commands.

Beans
    Distro

if i use any renderer I get no ips or something real weird. I have tried networkd and NetworkManager and I have to take them off to get it to work. I have to physically get into server to take out. as far as ping goes i can ping everything on my network

but cant ping anything on internet

will post results soon have to fix a garage door for mother in law

everything works but internet on server can ping i am typing this from my laptop on same system
    Last edited by greg612; 1 Week Ago at 04:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, without a renderer, I'm surprised that any IP is being provided that isn't DHCP.

If you cannot ping the internet, then I don't see how any external DNS will work. BTW, it cannot.

If there aren't any firewall rules preventing outbound connections, then the problem is 99.9% somewhere else - like in the router or switch configs.

The only time I've had any issue where the LAN was 100% fine and the internet wasn't that didn't get traced back to a network misconfiguration external to Linux, it was a strange bug in QEMU with networking. All the VMs on 1 machine worked perfect, but 1 of them didn't. This was before netplan. Never figured our a solution. Happened a 3 times over a 6th month period, but most of the time everything worked. I migrated off a full VM to separate Linux Containers for those services and never saw the issue again. The same VM host is still being used and all the other VMs on it haven't had any unexpected (i.e. bonehead, self-inflicted) issues.

Anyway, here's another netplan.yaml file that uses the more modern "via" method. Of course, don't forget to run sudo netplan generate and sudo netplan apply after any changed. You can add the --debug switch to get more output that might trace issues with the netplan,yaml input. YAML is picky, so getting spacing (never tabs!) correct is important.

Code:
    network:
      version: 2
      renderer: networkd
      ethernets:
         ens3:
           addresses:
              - 172.22.22.5/24
           dhcp4: false
           dhcp6: false
           routes:
             - to: default
               via: 172.22.22.1
           optional: true
           nameservers:
             addresses: [ "172.22.22.81","172.22.22.80" ]
             search: [example.foo,example.com]
    Anyway, another point of reference.

Beans
    Distro

I will try that but what u said got me curious so i dug out the ethernet cable from server and im typing this from that so switches routers all work. Server is fresh install no firewall active on it.

Like i said everything worked it had internet all that til I made a static ip

This all started with 22.04 last update it lost it then never could get it back Thats why i tried the 24.04 but still there

I dont know never ran into anything like this I can put it back to dynamic but thats going to be a real pain in --- every time the ip changes

i agree about renderer but it wont have it in yaml that causes real problems I get weird ip then have to have keyboard on server to fix dont understand that either.

I never seen anything like this.... This always worked before total lost here on static ip
    Last edited by greg612; 1 Week Ago at 07:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Swap the switch port used. Sometimes 1 switch port will have issues that others do not.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast