Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which *buntu for an old AMD XP 2400+ ?

Beans
    Hidden!

which *buntu for an old AMD XP 2400+ ?

Hi,
    I want to install ubuntu on my old AMD Athlon XP 2400+. It has 1,25 GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE graphic card. It's going to be a server for lamp (for private use only), a file Server and maybe some game-server like minecraft. But I want a desktop environment.

I tried it with Ubuntu 10.04 but it was too slow for me. So now I want to know which *buntu will run fast on it an would it be better to take an older version instead of 11.10 ? Would be helpful to change the window manager for example install xubuntu and install openbox or something else?

It would be great if you could list some pros of the *buntu you recommend.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: which *buntu for an old AMD XP 2400+ ?

Xubuntu has the fame to be very lightweight.

The Minimum system requirements are 256 MB RAM but it is strongly recommended to have at least 512 MB RAM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by BC59 View Post
    Xubuntu has the fame to be very lightweight.

The Minimum system requirements are 256 MB RAM but it is strongly recommended to have at least 512 MB RAM.
    Is xubuntu really the fastest? isn't lubuntu faster?

Beans
    Distro

Well I'm not sure because the differences are minimal, but there are more options, if you like to have a really lightweight system.

For example you could try PuppyLinux which is using binaries and software from other Linux flavors and basically Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

hm, ok. But I wan't to use Ubuntu, because I made a good experience with it and I want an easy an stable distro. I don't want to spend to much time for the setup. I'm using arch on my laptop and know how difficult it can be.

So if there is no big difference between Xubuntu and Lubuntu, I'll try Xubuntu first. But how about the version? Is it better to use an older LTS or use the newest version for good support of old hardware?
    Last edited by Jabra91; November 25th, 2011 at 06:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Well there is a big debate.

Many have the opinion that LTS versions are more stable, others they say LTS versions are abandoned and the developers are concentrated on the new ones and so on.

I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 which is the basis for the *ubuntu 11.10 and I find it pretty stable. Personally I would recommend the newest version, but surely there are many different opinions.

Beans

For best performance I recommend installing Ubuntu Server with no GUI desktop environment. It is not as hard as you might think, if you follow a good how-to.

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/index.html

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    For best performance I recommend installing Ubuntu Server with no GUI desktop environment. It is not as hard as you might think, if you follow a good how-to.

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/index.html
    hm, this sounds good. honestly I don't need a gui. And this would solve my problem of the version too. Because one thing I didn't like about using the newest version, is that there are changes in the desktop environment between the versions. Maybe I should give it a try.

But if I don't have a gui, I would loose everything about ubuntu that I liked. So I could use another distro instead. Or are there any pros of the Ubuntu Server? Would it make a difference if I take Arch for example?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,
    I've just installed Xubuntu 11.10 on my Desktop (AMD 3200, 2 gig ram,) and my Netbook (Lenovo S10e, N270 1.6 GHz 1 gig ram) its really light weight and runs well on both. After trying Ubuntu 11.10 Unity and Gnome 3, my recommendation is Xubuntu.

http://www.xubuntu.org/

Beans

if you're running 1GB of RAM and an Athlon XP 2400+, then just regular Ubuntu (preferably the 10.04 LTS) will work on it. Of course, Xubuntu and Lubuntu (older or newer versions) will work on it too. The LTS with the older GNOME 2.30 only requires about 384GB RAM to run the desktop version, so you should do just fine with 1GB. Granted, it's an older Athlon XP/Pentium 4 era computer, but those computers with the right graphics card are still Windows Vista/7 capable, so they'll run Ubuntu.

Bottom line: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS should run just fine on your older Athlon XP. If you're iffy about it, then go with Xubuntu or Lubuntu.
    Don't like Unity? Hate it? Not your cup of coffee? Ubuntu does provide choices. There's GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE, and now MATE and Cinnamon. Take your pick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast